of Mazovian princes was built in 1355-1370 as a fortified settlement
and the residence of the rulers. Since 1563 it was a site where
the so-called "kwarciany" (quarter) treasure was kept.
since the 16th c. its watch tower was used as a prison. The castle
damaged during the Swedish "Flood" and then shamefully
pulled down during the Prussian occupation (brick was used for adjacent
works were conducted at it in the 1920s and its present condition
is a result of the restoration carried out in 1957-1958.
octagonal tower historical and archaeological exhibitions are on
of Rawa Region
26 Lowicka street
A villa from 1930 built for Tadeusz Frankiwicz, then the director
of the Rawa Agricultural Syndicate. Since 19 December 1984 a seat
of the Museum of Rawa Region. The building erected according to
a design by Roman Moszyński, a county architect. The museum collects
archaeological exhibits, works of art, numismatics and relicts of
the past associated with Rawa Mazowiecka and the whole region of
its temporary exhibitions the Museum offers also permanent display:
-"Traditional cottage room in the Rawa region"-showing
the interiors of a festive room with its characteristic furnishings
from the 1880 to 1950.
drawing-room from the turn of the 20th century", presenting
works of art and the inside of drawing rooms in manors of Polish
the late-Baroque church of Immaculate Conception, a classical belfry
and a building of a former Jesuits college founded by Wołucki brothers
in 1613 make up the west frontage of the town square.
A Gothic baptismal
font from the end of the 15th c. is a real jewel among the relicts.
During the Lubomirki's rebellion king Jan Casimir and the queen
stayed in the college. Jan Chryzostom Pasek, a famous Polish chronicler
graduated from that school.
belfry adjoins the church. As a result of construction faults it
was endangered with collapsing in the 19th c. Only after forty years
it was finally refurbished.
and Monastery of the fathers of the Passion
3 Ks Skorupki Street
the 14th century a Roman church stood on the site. The present late
Baroque church dates back to 1790, the monastery- to the first half
of the 19th century. Among its many historical objects the following
are especially worth seeing: The main altar of the Virgin Mary of
Consolation with its characteristic gold robes and crowns, the Pieta,
Confessional boxes in the style of Italian Baroque and a painting
of St Monica.
In the church
of St Paul of the Cross the custom of arranging a carpet of flower
petals in the octave of Corpus Christi has been cherished for several
and Augsburg Church
12 Warszawska Street
temple of Holy Spirit was probably built in the 16th century (erected
from 15th c. eternal chapel) and enlarged in the first half of the
Church in Boguszyce
larch church form the 16th c. is counted, besides the palace and
park complex in Nieborów and Arkadia, among the highest-class historic
monuments in the region. Its polychrome dated to 1558-1569 is a
masterpiece of the art of ceiling painting.
About 1 km south of the town
In the second
half of the 13th c. on Angel's Mount (called so because a hermit
named Anioł-Angel lived there) arose a village of timber and earth
surrounded with a double wall and a moat. The fortified settlement
stood on a natural hill and existed until about 1380. So called
"Anielka" is shrouded in mystery of many worth-hearing
An idea of
establishing the park originated at the beginning of the 19th c.together
with the project of straightening the bed of the Rawka River. The
park and the buildings around the town square it forms an integral
part of the historic urban development. In 1939 Nazis established
a temporary prisoners-of-war camp in the park area. The park in
Rawa and the Rawka River are included in the register of the historic
monuments and is taken care of by the Heritage Conservator.
and Town Square Tenement Houses
Town Hall is a Neo-Classicist building dating back to the first
half of the 19th c. and designed by Bonifacy Witkowski. Together
with a complex of tenement houses and comparatively " new"
community greens it constitutes the centre of Rawa Mazowiecka. The
whole urban development looks especially presentable at the sunset
or already after dusk.
towering over the town silhouette of the 30 m tall fire tower is
a unique "signpost" for all wishing to get to the town
centre. The drying room
of fire hoses was set up in 1947. Firemen used to keep guard on
as it is a perfect viewing point to Rawa and its surroundings.
78 Slowackiego Street
water reservoir made by damming the Rawka River is undoubtedly the
biggest attraction of the summer season. On hot summer days all
swimming grounds are teeming with coming here residents of Rawa
and tourists. The lake is full of canoes, pedal boats, boats, etc.
Sunshine, a wood, splashing children make the unique atmosphere
of the lake in Rawa.
Halina Konopacka Memorial
1a Slowackiego Street
Tel. (046) 814 45 71
section of the lake "Tatar" with a marina, a wood and
lanes a sports hall, tennis courts, a campsite and a hotel make
a complex of the Rawa OSiR (Sport and Recreational Centre). It comprises
also an-open air cafes and a disco on a terrace.
3 Zamkowa Street
Tel. (046) 814 41 77
to visit the castle in Rawa one should remember that it is located
on remises of the Sport Club "Mazovia". The club is a
pride for all supporters from Rawa as it has functioned incessantly
since 1930. Its players have already won many precious trophies.
At present 230 athletes train in the club. For a few years now,
a section of volleyball ("Ravia") has been active in club
besides its football section.
28 Kazimierza Wielkiego Street
sport and entertainment hall is the 1000th object founded and opened
by UKFiT (Office of physical Culture and Tourism). Though it was
opened only in the middle of the year 1999 some international events
have already been held there. Everybody can take advantage of the
hall, its gym and the whole base of facilities. It is enough to
phone - (046) 814 48 04.
14 Kosciuszki Street
building at Kosciusko Street was erected in 1932 and is undoubtedly
one of the most outstanding examples of mastery of probably the
greatest architects of Rawa, Konrad Kłos. He designed such objects
as a building of the Primary School nr 1, and a building at 4 Piłsudskiego
Square, a nursery school at Zamkowa Wola and many others. After
the Second World War the building was the seat of PKO Bank.
at Mila Street
The house arose
at the beginning of the 20th c. Its appearance from the street is
not as impressive as its façade from the Primary School nr 2, which
shows the excellent taste of its first owner, doctor Otto.
School nr 1
impressive building of the Tadeusz Kościuszko memorial Primary School
nr 1 was opened on 18th October 1926. In those days the school was
very well equipped as it offered e.g. a physical classroom, a chemistry
lab, a room of natural sciences, etc. During the Second World War
the building was taken up for purposes of the Nazi army and so-called
Deutsche Schule. On its façade the magnificent entrance niche and
a plaque commemorating teachers murdered in annihilation camps are
especially worth seeing.
in Rawa Mazowiecka